Tips for Tackling the Biggest Data Migration Challenges
As you begin your ERP implementation, it’s essential to understand what challenges you may face along the way, including those associated with the transference of data. Without awareness and strategy around potential pain points, data migration – transitioning legacy data to your new system(s) – can prove costly and problematic. Ensuring accurate and smooth data migration will help support timeliness, budget adherence and your ERP implementation’s overall success. In this post, we share some potential challenges, and tips for preventing them altogether or mitigating their effects.
Potential Data Migration Challenges:
1. Data integrity and redundancy – During migration, you may be transitioning the same data from multiple systems which are managed by different groups and can therefore include variances from data set to data set. If the data sources don’t match up, then the accuracy and purity of your data could be jeopardized.
To help avoid bad or duplicate data from being imported…
- Involve those closest to your data systems, with the deepest understanding of your legacy sources, in your overall migration and implementation strategies.
- Work to identify potential areas of data overlap and inaccuracy, and look for ways to weed out any threats to data integrity before migration.
- Monitor the quality of your migrated data at checkpoints throughout the project. Have a plan in place to adjust importation if needed.
- Above all, test migration before launch.
2. Costs incurred by migration – According to ERP Focus, extracting, cleaning and restructuring data can increase ERP implementation costs by an estimated 10-15 percent, even if you are migrating one data set from an older ERP system to a newer one. And other costs can be incurred due to lack of productivity and systems being down longer than necessary during migration. It’s important to have the right internal team and external support managing your data migration project, to help ensure as smooth and timely a transition as possible.
3. Stakeholder buy-in – To ensure your data is properly and fully migrated, your employees and management will need to be onboard, which can sometimes be a challenge. Some workgroups may resist change if they are comfortable with the systems they currently use or if they don’t understand the importance of carrying over data already housed on their system.
The first step in gaining full buy-in is to work with your managers. Maintaining clear and timely communications with all levels of management is the best way to inform and motivate the workforce that will be driving your migration.
4. Regulatory compliance – With ever-increasing, ever-changing regulatory requirements from various regional and industry regulating bodies, ensuring compliance can prove challenging. Heading into data migration with this in mind is key to your implementation success. If your organization has a compliance officer, make sure that they are involved in each stage of the process and their recommendations are woven into your migration strategy. This can save you the high cost of non-compliance and/or legal fees in the long run.
5. Project management – In addition to the tips above, there are some important project management reminders that should be included in your migration approach:
- Be proactive rather than reactive; create your data migration strategy ahead of ERP implementation, with input from key stakeholders, then build your action plan around it.
- Back up your data before migration.
- Work risk management into your data migration strategy.
- Ensure that the data model and volume of data are considered while mapping out your strategy and action plan.
- Communicate with stakeholders at each stage of the migration process to help ensure awareness, to capture experts’ recommendations and to gain buy-in across the board.
- Engage Oracle NetSuite as your ERP software and partner with the ERP and data migration experts on our NetDynamic team to help guide you through the process.
For questions, comments or to learn how NetDynamic can facilitate smooth data migration for your business, reach us at 1-888-232-3319 or email@example.com.